Unable to change loginname from username to e-mail using OpenLDAP

• I’m trying to change the loginname from username to emailaddress.
    It’s a multi tenant installation with no problems so far.

Settings are:
    /etc/kopano/server.cfg

sync_gab_realtime = yes 
    user_safe_mode = no

/usr/share/kopano/ldap.openldap.cfg (which is included in /etc/kopano/ldap.cfg)

ldap_loginname_attribute = mail

used version:
    Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid
    kopano-server 8.7.0

Details:

Apr  1 18:35:01 mailbox01 kopano-server[717]: Accepted incoming connection from file:///var/run/kopano/server.sock
    Apr  1 18:35:01 mailbox01 slapd[482]: <= mdb_equality_candidates: (ou) not indexed
    Apr  1 18:35:01 mailbox01 slapd[482]: <= mdb_equality_candidates: (mail) not indexed
    Apr  1 18:35:01 mailbox01 kopano-server[717]: Authentication by plugin failed for user "heinz.horst@test.tld": Trying to authenticate failed: heinz.horst not found in LDAP; username = heinz.horst

Any idea?
    regards
    Robert

• Kopano

@Robert,

This should just work, the best thing you can do however is copy this line(ldap_loginname_attribute = mail
    ) to /etc/kopano/ldap.cfg
    The ldap.openldap.cfg in /usr/share/kopano will change with every update of Kopano

What does kopano-admin -l say it should display the email address there as well.

• Hi robing,

unfortunately it doesn’t.
    I’ve already changed the ldap_loginname_attribute = mail
    to /etc/kopano/ldap.cfg

kopano-admin -l shows the user for that domain
    25a69139-e4f7-4023-a4fa-8f23091b35ee-grafik.png

As soon as I switch back to ldap_loginname_attribute = uid and reload the service kopano-server I can login as heinz.horst without any problems.

regards
    Robert

• Kopano

Did you change the the loginname_format value in the server.cfg in /etc/kopano ?
    it should be set on loginname_format = %u

• Hi robing,

this I found out a few minutes before your post (because I found new created users with usernames like heinz.horst@test.tld@test.tld) .

First: All is working fine now!

For all others - my settings are now:

/etc/kopano/server.cfg
    loginname_format =%u
    sync_gab_realtime = yes
    user_safe_mode = no

/etc/kopano/ldap.cfg
    ldap_loginname_attribute = mail

After all, RESTART the service kopano-server - a reload seems to be not enough!

Thank you robing for your hints!

regards
    Robert