kopano-migration-imap zarafa to kopano changed from/to address

• Hi there,
    I’m currently testing syncing messages from Zarafa (ZCP: 7.0.13-41388 / WebApp: 1.3.1-41348) to Kopano on UCS (KC: 8.6.8 / WebApp:
    3.4.22.1782+80.1) with kopano-migration-imap

Sync seems to be going fine, but i find that the sender and/or recipient address on the same messages in Kopano and Zarafa are different?! Not all messages, but quite a few.

Anybody know of an explanation/solution for this?

Kind regards.

Edit: Kopano on UCS.

• Kopano

Hi @jmx ,

just as a side note, when migrating from one Kopano/Zarafa based system to another the better way (if you do not want or can import the database in general) would be to use kopano-backup. With kopano-backup you can also backup/restore other types of items than just mails, it also is capable of handling rules and permissions.

Can you post a concrete example of a sender and/or recipient being changed after import? Maybe with some gateway logging from the source and target system?

• Hi @fbartels,
    i’m just finding out that the original “To:” and “From:” header addresses are being replaced with the primary mail address of a Kopano user, if they match one of that user’s alternative smtp mail addresses.

The headers are still there, but WebApp is replacing them… ?!

• Kopano

Yes, well that has been discussed a few times already. Its not the WebApp replacing them, but the kopano-dagent resolving these values on delivery time (I don’t know if something similar happens if you move a mail via imap to the server). This is done so that Kopano WebApp (in fact any client using mapi) can resolve additional user information like free/busy.

• @fbartels
    Right, can this be dagent behaviour be set somehow in the config files?
    That would be really useful for running the sync, because i found this also makes searches useless for these messages.

Alas, have no zarafa-backup option on the ‘old’ server and tested a MySQL dump and import, but that left me with collision and MAPI errors and a messed up index/search situation (see this post).

• Kopano

No, there is not setting for this as this is quite crucial for clients (as explained above). There is a dagent plugin for it to “work around” this “issue”, though: https://notabug.org/hp/kopano-dagent-rewritegaladdresses

I do however not agree this this makes search useless, just because you cannot search for an incoming alias…

@jmx said in kopano-migration-imap zarafa to kopano changed from/to address:

have no zarafa-backup option on the ‘old’ server

you don’t need one (and it would not even be compatible), you can just connect with kopano-backup from your new server to the old one.

• @fbartels said in kopano-migration-imap zarafa to kopano changed from/to address:

No, there is not setting for this as this is quite crucial for clients (as explained above). There is a dagent plugin for it to “work around” this “issue”, though: https://notabug.org/hp/kopano-dagent-rewritegaladdresses

Great, thanks, that will probably do just fine!
    Just hope it still works for newer Kopano versions.

I do however not agree this this makes search useless, just because you cannot search for an incoming alias…

Did not say that, said: “makes searches useless for these messages
    …a lot of these messages get both To and From rewritten for me

@jmx said in kopano-migration-imap zarafa to kopano changed from/to address:

have no zarafa-backup option on the ‘old’ server

you don’t need one (and it would not even be compatible), you can just connect with kopano-backup from your new server to the old one.

Interesting! Did not know about that option, will definitely have a look at this is well.

Kind regards.

• @fbartels
    FYI: the RewriteGALAddressesToSMTP dagent plugin does not seem to work anymore for KC 8.6.8