Version numbering for community version, Kopano One and Kopano core
odix67 last edited by
as a long term kopano / zarafa user I’m a little bit confused about the version numbering of the different editions:
- the community edition is currently around 11.x
- the kopano core edition is about 8.7.x
- kopano one seems to be around 9.x
what’s the reason behind this numbering scheme ?
My second question is about the mayor version increases in WebApp, as I do not see any mayor “improvements”, btw. are there any plans in the near future for a replacement of the current WebApp ?
thx and best regards
in general we adopted semantic versioning for our software a while ago, which specifies when a new tag should be major, minor or patch.
The mix of versions in Core can be explained in the following way:
- 8.7 is the current stable for all customers
- 9.x is part of Kopano One and brings a nice licensing component, Kopano One is the recommended installation for new customers
- because of the new licensing component users upgrading from 8.7 need to convert their subscription key, which requires some more automation to provide a smooth transition
- 11.x is the head of our main development branch
btw. are there any plans in the near future for a replacement of the current WebApp ?
Yes, the idea is still to replace WebApp with new web applications designed as so called Progressive Web Apps (PWA), which make use of OIDC and a RestAPI to communicate with the Kopano backend.