Upgrade to MariaDB
Is it supported to upgrade from mysql to mariadb without problems?
@klausf that also depends on the version of mariadb.
As long as you are running a mariadb version that is equal or older to any of the officially supported distributions you should be good.
@klausf are you referring to the Debian 9 upgrade? I’d like to know if you experienced any problems.
thanks for this information. As yep_DD is asking, my question is regarding the upcoming Debian 9 in which by default mariadb instead of mysql will be the default. So I prefer to update to mariadb in Debian 8 and later, when Debian 9 will become stable do a dist-upgrade.
@klausf I personally never tried it on Debian 8, but as long as you take mariadb-server package from the jessie repository you should be good to go.
@klausf I just restored my server backup to a virtual machine and performed the upgrade to Debian9 and php7
These were the steps:
- followed update tutorial as described: https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-upgrade-debian-8-jessie-to-debian-9-stretch
- deleted old phpmyadmin database
- a2dismod php5
- a2enmod php7
- dpkg-reconfigure phpmyadmin
- restart apache
- enabled mysqli in php.ini
- restart php
- ran mysql_upgrade
- installed debian9 kopano core debian packages
And what can I say… at least in the virtual machine everything is running just fine
edit: now I need to test everything is running just as it is supposed to before doing the same on the live system
@yep_DD many thanks for testing and your feedback!
Just to continue a bit, -in case you’re also running opendkim- these were the config changes that were updated and the selections I made:
- spamassassin: local.cf -> N
- iptables before.rules -> N
- 50unattetended-upgrades -> Y
- logind.conf -> N
- sysctl.conf -> Y
- apache2.conf -> N
- default-ssl.conf -> N
- samba -> Y
- moduli -> Y
- sshd_config -> N
- jail.conf -> Y
- security2.conf -> Y
- /default/opendkim -> Y (!)
- opendkim.conf -> Y (!)
- apache.conf -> Y (!)
The (!) means changes were needed. Opendkim is now running chrooted so change to the sockets were made. The one thing that was a bit of a headache is that you need to re-compile the systemd init script by running “/lib/opendkim/opendkim.service.generate”, otherwise all change related to the socket settings in /etc/default/opendkim and /etc/opendkim.conf were ignored.