Policy on 32-bit (i386) and 64-bit(amd64) releases

• Dear Kopano team.

Forgive me if I ask something obvious, but after hours of searching I couldn’t find any information about this topic:

What’s the official policy on kopano-core regarding the supported architecture? Is 32-bit (i386) still supported?

Browsing through the many different download-folders (final, limited, community) I find a mixture of different architectures - for some distributions, even newer ones, the 32-bit packages are still available.

For example, in community-core I see i386-packages for Debian 10 (incomplete! deb-files are missing) and Debian-Testing, but not for Debian 9.

Specifically asking: I’m in desperate need of upgrading an existing Debian 9 (32-bit) to Debian 10 (32-bit) and cannot find any matching kopano-core-i386 packages version 8.7.x or higher - except for Debian-Testing, which makes me believe that such build process still exists. Right?

Thank you very much for your help!

BR, Thomas
    PS: Yes, I now: 32-bit servers are outdated/insecure/a bad idea/not supported much longer/ugly/[enter your opinion here]/…
    But as always: Migrating a production-system from 32 to 64 bit will take some time.

• Kopano

Hi @tstockinger,

you can find a list of officially supported platforms (and cpu architectures) at https://documentation.kopano.io/kopanocore_administrator_manual/installing.html#supported-platforms. Everything outside of that list purely built for academic purposes and not tested.

• You might consider SQL export import migration instead of inplace upgrade.
    You can then easily change hardware, we went virutalized for example xcp-ng.
    Which allows for even more offline testing before you go final and redo a latest SQL import.
    (or you take another virtualization package).

• Hi @fbartels

Thanks for the link - I must have been really blind.

As this system is also mostly for “academic purposes” to support old hardware and software, I’ll have to find a workaround. Thanks anyways.

Best regards, Thomas

• @tstockinger said in Policy on 32-bit (i386) and 64-bit(amd64) releases:

For example, in community-core I see i386-packages for Debian 10 (incomplete! deb-files are missing) and Debian-Testing, but not for Debian 9.

For certain old distros, we are importing the RHEL SCL compiler, which is x86_64 only.
    As for D9, it’s currently just an oversight that there is no i386, but that may change again when its base gcc becomes too old.