Strange behavior with dagent in core-10.0.3.0 with Outlook (2013)


  • Hi,
    I have a test environment with Outlook 2013 with Active Sync Z-Push (2.4.5). When I get a message, that message appears in Outlook with the date from two months ago. The message is displayed correctly in the Kopano DeskApp. An Android smartphone also displays the message correctly. I then did another test and connected Outlook via IMAP. And I get the same result. Outlook shows the message with a date from two months ago, Kopano DeskApp and Android and also Thunderbird with IMAP connection show it correctly. Now the really ominous one: when I restart the kopano-dagent service, it also works correctly with Outlook for a certain time. Then the error is suddenly there again. What could be the mistake?


  • @Thomas Problem solved for me.

    The problem is obvious that the dagent changes the email header. It writes the date coded in the received header like the system locale.
    Here’s an example:

    Received: from mail.testdom.loc ([::1]:42912)
    by mail.testdom.loc (kopano-dagent) with LMTP;
    Mi, 18 Mär 2020 16:27:31 +0100 (CET)

    The header then looks like this in Outlook:

    Received: from mail.testdom.loc ([::1]:42912)
    by mail.testdom.loc (kopano-dagent) with LMTP;
    Mi, 18 Mär 2020 16:27:31 +0100 (CET)

    The header should be like this:

    Received: from mail.testdom.loc ([::1]:43016)
    by mail.testdom.loc (kopano-dagent) with LMTP;
    Mi, 18 Mar 2020 16:27:46 +0100 (CET)

    Interestingly, the dagent only correctly writes the header after a restart, but after a while the header is misspelled again.

    Since the problem only occurs with Outlook, I am aware that Outlook is the real problem it seems to have problems with UTF-8.

    I have found a for me reasonable solution to the problem.
    I have set up postfix in such a way that a process from dagent is started for every incoming email. This solution, which is acceptable to me, would work in a small system with few mailboxes and not as much mail volume. But in a large system with a lot of mail this would definitely cause problems, because too many dagent processes would be started.

    I add to postfix master.cfg:

    kopano unix - n n - 10 pipe flags=ODRhu user=kopano argv=/usr/sbin/kopano-dagent -R ${recipient}

    and in postfix main.cfg i change

    mailbox_transport = lmtp:localhost:2003
    to mailbox_transport = kopano

    and add

    kopano_destination_recipient_limit = 1

    to be shure that each mail will start a process.

    Then all my tests went successfully. :-)

    Regards,

    Thomas