Kopano Python Remote Development on Windows
hecke last edited by hecke
this is my way of developing python scripts on my Windows 10 machine remotely on a Kopano server.
It even should work on other OSs that VSCode runs on.
Mabe this is of interest for some of you. So here we go.
- make a folder for your code on your Windows machine and open it on VSCode
mkdir c:\kopano-python cd c:\kopano-python code .
- install the Remote Development extension in VSCode
- add a new SSH host via the command palette and connect to the server
Remote-SSH: Add New SSH Host...
- right click on the new host in the Remote Explorer and choose
Connect to Host in current Window
- log in
- select “Open Folder” from the files explorer and choose where you want to map your local folder on the remote host
- now your machines are connected and you can start developing
- make a new file “kopano-list-users.py”, install the recommended Python extension and reload
- hack in some code
import kopano server = kopano.Server(auth_user="<your admin user>", auth_pass="<password>") users = server.users() for user in users: print(user)
- hit F5 to debug
- et voilà, remote development with autocompletion, linting and debugging.
This is my preferred method for writing python scripts. It’s so easy and elegant I even use it to write small one time cleanup scripts.
thanks for your tutorial! The remote development extensions in Vs code are indeed quite powerful. Been using this for quite a while myself already.