Cannot forward email with fetchmail to Kopano for one user

Hi all,

Yesterday I updated my old Zarafa server to Kopano 8.6 on Ubuntu 16.04. The majority works fine but for one user I am not able to fetch emails using fetchmail. I think it is problem is with Kopano (however I am not sure). In the server.log I find the following entry:

Sat Jul  7 17:16:19 2018: [warning] Authentication by plugin failed for user "omega": Trying to authenticate failed: wrong username or password

Fetchmail reports the following:

Sun Jul  8 08:03:54 2018: [17945] [error  ] HrLogon server "default:" user "SYSTEM": logon failed
Sun Jul  8 08:03:54 2018: [17945] [error  ] HrLogon server "default:" user "omega": logon failed
Sun Jul  8 08:03:54 2018: [17945] [error  ] Access denied or connection failed for user "omega", using socket: "default:": logon failed (80040111)
Sun Jul  8 08:03:54 2018: [17945] [error  ] HRESULT deliver_recipient(pym_plugin_intf*, const char*, bool, FILE*, DeliveryArgs*): HrGetSession failed: logon failed (80040111)
Sun Jul  8 08:03:54 2018: [17945] [error  ] int main(int, char**): deliver_recipient failed: logon failed (80040111)
fetchmail: MDA returned nonzero status 70
fetchmail:  not flushed

Of course I checked the passwords and the overall configuration - but since I am using the same method for another user, the configuration in general should be okay. I can login to the webapp for this use. In the .fetchmailrc I instruct Fetchmail to forward the fetched messages:

mda "/usr/sbin/kopano-dagent omega"

I am really confused (and also frustrated), so any help would be highly appreciated.

In which user context are you running fetchmail? To be able to deliver mails the local user needs to have admin permissions (local_admin_users in server.cfg) in Kopano (that actually was the same in Zarafa).

Hi,
thanks. I am using Fechtmail exactly as suggested by you: I want to fetch messages from another server (to which I also have access, no error there) and deliver them to Kopano users.

Anyway: You posted the solution! However, I am quite surprised that it worked for the other user…

Thank you!!!

Hi,
I have a follow-up question: Thanks to fbartels the fetching of mails works. In fact, I am not aware about any problems anymore. However, once in a while I still find the following entry in the registry:

[warning] Authentication by plugin failed for user "omega": Trying to authenticate failed: wrong username or password
[warning] Previous message logged 64 times

What does this mean? It would already help me to understand, to which plugin the entry is referring to. I did not install any plugins so it must be from kopano core, right?

(Sorry cannot find the codeblock tool for the forum)

@shruuf said in Cannot forward email with fetchmail to Kopano for one user:

(Sorry cannot find the codeblock tool for the forum)

This forum uses markdown for formatting. in the full editor there are also shortcuts for it.

@shruuf said in Cannot forward email with fetchmail to Kopano for one user:

Authentication by plugin failed

the plugin reference is due to the different user backends being implemented as plugins. this simply means that the user could not be authenticated.

Thank you.