Z-Push with HA Zimbra Architecture . Proxy issue

Hello,

we plan to migrate our actual zimbra installation from 8.0.7 OSE to 8.8.7 OSE. Our production is running on single zimbra server with z-push 2.1.3-1892 !
In our preproduction environnement we have several servers like :
1 HA Reverse-Proxy Cluster (HTTP requests)
1 HA HAProxy Cluster (HTTP request, IMAP, POP, …)
2 Zimbra Proxy server
1 Z-Push Server for handle mobile request
1 ZImbra mailbox server (the target is to have X mailbox server)

The authentication is mapped on a CAS serveur :) (so the authentication is redirected on an url)

Our 2.4.2+0 Z-Push server is installed on CentOS 7 for work with Zimbra Backend 68.
Z-push is running but it cannot open a session , we always get this error
05/06/2018 15:32:50 [ 2375] [ERROR] [alogin] Zimbra->Logon(): END Logon - Proxy Error { connected = false }
05/06/2018 15:32:50 [ 2375] [FATAL] [alogin] Exception: (AuthenticationRequiredException) - Access denied. Proxy unable to initiate a session on user mailbox server
05/06/2018 15:32:50 [ 2375] [ERROR] [alogin] TopCollector could not initialise IPC provider ‘’: No IPC provider available

Our config.php file :
define(‘TIMEZONE’, ‘Europe/Paris’);
define(‘BASE_PATH’, dirname($_SERVER[‘SCRIPT_FILENAME’]). ‘/’);
define(‘SCRIPT_TIMEOUT’, 0);
define(‘USE_CUSTOM_REMOTE_IP_HEADER’, false);
define(“CERTIFICATE_OWNER_PARAMETER”, “SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_CN”);
define(‘USE_FULLEMAIL_FOR_LOGIN’, true);
define(‘STATE_MACHINE’, ‘FILE’);
define(‘STATE_DIR’, ‘/var/lib/z-push/’);
define(‘IPC_PROVIDER’, ‘’);
define(‘LOGBACKEND’, ‘filelog’);
define(‘LOGLEVEL’, LOGLEVEL_DEBUG);
define(‘LOGAUTHFAIL’, false);
define(‘LOGUSERLEVEL’, LOGLEVEL_DEVICEID);
define(‘LOGFILEDIR’, ‘/logs/z-push/’);
define(‘LOGFILE’, LOGFILEDIR . ‘z-push.log’);
define(‘LOGERRORFILE’, LOGFILEDIR . ‘z-push-error.log’);
define(‘LOG_SYSLOG_HOST’, false);
define(‘LOG_SYSLOG_PORT’, 514);
define(‘LOG_SYSLOG_PROGRAM’, ‘z-push’);
define(‘LOG_SYSLOG_FACILITY’, LOG_LOCAL0);
define(‘PROVISIONING’, false);
define(‘LOOSE_PROVISIONING’, false);
define(‘PROVISIONING_POLICYFILE’, ‘policies.ini’);
define(‘SYNC_CONFLICT_DEFAULT’, SYNC_CONFLICT_OVERWRITE_PIM);
define(‘SYNC_FILTERTIME_MAX’, SYNC_FILTERTYPE_ALL);
define(‘PING_INTERVAL’, 30);
define(‘FILEAS_ORDER’, SYNC_FILEAS_LASTFIRST);
define(‘SYNC_MAX_ITEMS’, 512);
define(‘UNSET_UNDEFINED_PROPERTIES’, false);
define(‘SYNC_CONTACTS_MAXPICTURESIZE’, 5242880);
define(‘ALLOW_WEBSERVICE_USERS_ACCESS’, false);
define(‘USE_PARTIAL_FOLDERSYNC’, false);
define(‘PING_LOWER_BOUND_LIFETIME’, false);
define(‘PING_HIGHER_BOUND_LIFETIME’, false);
define(‘SYNC_TIMEOUT_MEDIUM_DEVICETYPES’, “SAMSUNGGTI”);
define(‘SYNC_TIMEOUT_LONG_DEVICETYPES’, “iPod, iPad, iPhone, WP, WindowsOutlook, WindowsMail”);
define(‘RETRY_AFTER_DELAY’, 300);
define(‘BACKEND_PROVIDER’, ‘BackendZimbra’);
define(‘SEARCH_PROVIDER’, ‘’);
define(‘SEARCH_WAIT’, 10);
define(‘SEARCH_MAXRESULTS’, 10);
define(‘KOE_CAPABILITY_GAB’, true);
define(‘KOE_CAPABILITY_RECEIVEFLAGS’, true);
define(‘KOE_CAPABILITY_SENDFLAGS’, true);
define(‘KOE_CAPABILITY_OOF’, true);
define(‘KOE_CAPABILITY_OOFTIMES’, true);
define(‘KOE_CAPABILITY_NOTES’, true);
define(‘KOE_CAPABILITY_SHAREDFOLDER’, true);
define(‘KOE_CAPABILITY_SENDAS’, true);
define(‘KOE_CAPABILITY_SECONDARYCONTACTS’, true);
define(‘KOE_CAPABILITY_SIGNATURES’, true);
define(‘KOE_CAPABILITY_RECEIPTS’, true);
define(‘KOE_CAPABILITY_IMPERSONATE’, true);
define(‘KOE_GAB_STORE’, ‘SYSTEM’);
define(‘KOE_GAB_FOLDERID’, ‘’);
define(‘KOE_GAB_NAME’, ‘Z-Push-KOE-GAB’);

Our backend/zimbra/config.php file :
define(‘ZIMBRA_URL’, ‘http://proxy.domain.tld’);
define(‘ZIMBRA_USER_DIR’,‘zimbra’);
define(‘ZIMBRA_RETRIES_ON_HOST_CONNECT_ERROR’,5);
define(‘ZIMBRA_DEBUG’,true);
define(‘ZIMBRA_USER_DIR’,‘zimbra’);
define(‘ZIMBRA_DISABLE_URL_OVERRIDE’, true);
define(‘ZIMBRA_SMART_FOLDERS’,true);
define(‘ZIMBRA_SYNC_CONTACT_PICTURES’, true);
define(‘ZIMBRA_VIRTUAL_CONTACTS’,false);
define(‘ZIMBRA_VIRTUAL_APPOINTMENTS’,false);
define(‘ZIMBRA_VIRTUAL_TASKS’,false);
define(‘ZIMBRA_VIRTUAL_NOTES’,false);
define(‘ZIMBRA_IGNORE_EMAILED_CONTACTS’,true);
define(‘ZIMBRA_HTML’,true);
define(‘ZIMBRA_ENFORCE_VALID_EMAIL’,true);
define(‘MBSTRING_OVERLOAD’, (extension_loaded(‘mbstring’) ? ini_get(‘mbstring.func_overload’) : false));

I also tried to set the zimbra IP without success.

What’s wrong ?
thx for you help

Hi oloncle,

I moved the topic to a more appropriate sub-forum. I’m not very familiar with Zimbra, but it sounds rather as Zimbra and not Z-Push issue.

Manfred

Yes i think too, but the application architecture is complexe and I tried my luck anyway ^^

After trouble shooting a bit, i able to say there is a missconfiguration on z-push. I tried to used the lastest version of z-push on the production and the result is the same.

I always the IPC provider issue .

05/06/2018 16:30:35 [ 2374] [FATAL] [olivier] Exception: (AuthenticationRequiredException) - Access denied. Proxy unable to initiate a session on user mailbox server
05/06/2018 16:30:35 [ 2374] [ERROR] [olivier TopCollector could not initialise IPC provider ‘’: No IPC provider available

In a default installation, the IPC provider is “embeded” but I got this error … how can I manage it ? I tried to use memcached provider but there is an issue, on CentOS 7, with the memcached-pecl extension … The RPM is unable to validate dependancies and your code is unable to use the extension from the system.

long way :)

Which PHP version are you suing, and which PHP packages do you have installed?

Also, have you followed the advice in the INSTALL guide for whitelisting the Z-Push server in the zimbra DosFilter?

To be sure, set the z-push logging level to WBXML, and in the zimbra config.php, set ZIMBRA_DEBUG to true. This will output all the SOAP requests/responses to the log file. Look for any HTML errors in the zimbra respoonses.

It is also possible that your CAS integration is resulting in a HTML redirect instruction that the zimbra backend does not know how to handle.

Hi oloncle,

@oloncle said in Z-Push with HA Zimbra Architecture . Proxy issue:

I always the IPC provider issue .

05/06/2018 16:30:35 [ 2374] [FATAL] [olivier] Exception: (AuthenticationRequiredException) - Access denied. Proxy unable to initiate a session on user mailbox server
05/06/2018 16:30:35 [ 2374] [ERROR] [olivier TopCollector could not initialise IPC provider ‘’: No IPC provider available

In a default installation, the IPC provider is “embeded” but I got this error … how can I manage it ? I tried to use memcached provider but there is an issue, on CentOS 7, with the memcached-pecl extension … The RPM is unable to validate dependancies and your code is unable to use the extension from the system.

If you set up the Z-Push repository, you could just install z-push-ipc-sharedmemory package which will get the necessary dependencies for the default installation.

The additional packages are also listed here: https://wiki.z-hub.io/display/ZP/Installation+from+source.

Manfred

if you show your proxy acl, i might be able to see whats wrong.
If i look at the 2 lines manfred posted, about the IPC, the i would say, you that you whitelisted your mail server, but your user auth is before the whitelist entry.

check your proxy acl order.

My issue was coming from the IPC share memory. I re installed it and the IPC error has disappear but the proxy error was also present.
I push from production the z-push version 2.1.3 and it “seems” work but in reality any account false ou true is working via z-push but the synchronisation is not working with a mobile phone. The data synchro is not available.

ynchronized by user: test.user

DeviceId: sec1925ecbacacce
Device type: SamsungDevice
UserAgent: Android-SAMSUNG-SM-A320FL/101.700
Device Model: SM-A320FL
Device IMEI: 357xx408xxx4xx9
Device friendly name: a3y17ltexc
Device OS: Android
Device OS Language: français
Device Phone nr: +33xxxxxxxx
Device Operator: Free
ActiveSync version: 14.0
First sync: 2018-06-05 19:01
Last sync: never
Total folders: 1
Synchronized folders: 0
Synchronized data: None available
WipeRequest on: not set
WipeRequest by: not set
Wiped on: not set
Attention needed: No errors known

Anybody has already implemented z-push with Zimbra 8.8.7 ?

@liverpoolfcfan
php-process-5.4.16-45.el7.x86_64
php-pecl-memcache-3.0.8-4.el7.x86_64
php-common-5.4.16-45.el7.x86_64
php-mbstring-5.4.16-45.el7.x86_64
php-soap-5.4.16-45.el7.x86_64
php-pear-1.9.4-21.el7.noarch
php-cli-5.4.16-45.el7.x86_64
php-5.4.16-45.el7.x86_64
php-xml-5.4.16-45.el7.x86_64

have you tried to change :

define(‘ZIMBRA_URL’, ‘http://proxy.domain.tld’);

to

define(‘ZIMBRA_URL’, ‘https://proxy.domain.tld’);

Please note, i dont know zimbra, but i did see: https://sourceforge.net/p/zimbrabackend/support-requests/167/
and maybe you can use this info : https://forums.zimbra.org/viewtopic.php?t=60300#p270549

Yes already tried theses workaround.
06/06/2018 11:04:48 [13350] [ INFO] [test.user] cmd=‘Provision’ memory=‘7.22 MiB/7.50 MiB’ time=‘0.12s’ devType=‘SamsungDevice’ devId=‘sec1925ecbacacce’ getUser=‘test.user’ from=‘X.X.X.X’ idle=‘0s’ version=‘2.4.2+0’ method=‘POST’ httpcode=‘401’

We can see an 401 authentication error … We tried to manually send the soap request and it works :(

i also found this one.
https://forum.kopano.io/topic/682/z-push-behind-basic-authentication
check if this also applies to your setup.

and check if your upgrade replaced a setting or more.

/var/www/html/z-push/backend/zimbra/config.php

check if you server is in the config.php

For me, im out of thoughts… i do think this is a zimbra problem and it looks like zimbra is not detecting some z-push settings.

not my case the authentication is validated by a SSO. I unable a debug in the PHP code and see an error on the soap response .

06/06/2018 12:12:29 [13606] [DEBUG] [test.user] Zimbra->SoapRequest(): SOAP Message: <soap:Envelope xmlns:soap=“http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope”>
soap:Header<context xmlns=“urn:zimbra”>
<session />
<authToken></authToken>
<notify seq=“0” />
<format type=“js” />
<userAgent name=“Android-SAMSUNG-SM-A320FL/101.700(…acacce) devip=172.17.43.1 ZPZB” version=“68” />
</context></soap:Header>
soap:Body<NoOpRequest xmlns=“urn:zimbraMail” /></soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>
06/06/2018 12:12:29 [13606] [DEBUG] [test.user] Zimbra->SoapRequest(): SOAP response: Erreur : SOAP content truncated 0!=687
06/06/2018 12:12:29 [13606] [DEBUG] [test.user] NoOpResponse:
06/06/2018 12:12:29 [13606] [DEBUG] [test.user] NoOpResponse:
06/06/2018 12:12:29 [13606] [ERROR] [test.user] Zimbra->Logon(): END Logon - Proxy Error { connected = false }
06/06/2018 12:12:29 [13606] [ INFO] [test.user] AuthenticationRequiredException: Access denied. Proxy unable to initiate a session on user mailbox server - code: 0 - file: /ideosante/data/z-push/backend/zimbra/zimbra.php:1208

I think is a problem with the source code because even if i configure my preproduction z-push to communicate with my Zimbra server (8.0.7) in production, it’s doesn’t work. I got the same error.

A thing you could try also, is to disable gzip on the webserver running the z-push vhost.
That might fix the SOAP content truncated 0!=687 part
I’ve found some other things you can read, maybe it helps.

Look at : https://github.com/iomarmochtar/ozpy maybe thats an option

You could try to setup with https://xdebug.org/ a php debug extention.

and these maybe related
https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=99482
https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=75827

So i suggest, report this bug at zimba.

Re,

after wide troubleshooting it’s should be an issue with Transfer-Encoding: chunked . The response size doesn’t match the attended size … We have tried all way rproxy, proxy, zimbra no luck :(
Maybe a curl issue … troubleshooting again …

Got it !: The issue is due to a encoding problem, forcing a soap request in UTF-8 works … why the web server is not working correctly will be the last question !

Come back asap with the workaround !

Anybody has already implemented z-push with Zimbra 8.8.7 ?

I have set up a test instance of zimbra 8.8.8 on Centos 7, with z-push 2.4.2.beta1+0 and zimbra backend 68 running on Centos 6/Apache 2.4.latest and everything looks to work correctly.

Got it !: The issue is due to a encoding problem, forcing a soap request in UTF-8 works … why the web server is not working correctly will be the last question !

Check your php.ini setting for the directive

default_charset = “UTF-8”

and your HTTPD settings for the directive

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

By the way, if you use RH/Centos with the sclo repositories, the php.ini file is not necessarily in the normal place - in my case the active one is found at /opt/etc/rh/rh-php70/php.ini

Always a good idea when troubleshooting to first create a phpinfo.php file

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

and see where it tells you it is picking up the php.ini file from.

Configuration File (php.ini) Path /etc/opt/rh/rh-php70
Loaded Configuration File /etc/opt/rh/rh-php70/php.ini

I think is a problem with the source code because even if i configure my preproduction z-push to communicate with my Zimbra server (8.0.7) in production, it’s doesn’t work. I got the same error.

Did you edit the source zimbra.php file after downloading it?

By default, all editing is done using Notepad++ with Encoding set to UTF-8. This should cause it to be interpreted by the web server as UTF-8, and to send requests/expect responses in UTF-8.

If you edited the file with an editor that saved it in any other Encoding format then that could be the source of your issue.