just open attachment

Hi

I just want to open an attachment without saving it before.

I know that some programms need a file to be opened and therefor it could be saved to a tempfolder which is cleaned after deskapp shutdown.

Is this possible?

Best Regards

WebApp:
3.4.11.1363+775.1
Kopano Core:
Z-Push:
2.4.2+0-0

In DeskApp settings you can set a download dir,
and disable the ‘save dialog’ and enable the ‘open downloads when completed’ setting.
https://documentation.kopano.io/user_manual_deskapp/usage.html#download-settings

True, but your downloads-directory will be filled with all attachments and you have to manually cleanup. No other options?

@Nortepe85 Not yet, but we are thinking about saving them to the tempdir (%TEMP% for windows)
But that’s only a cosmetic chnage. The files have to be downloaded and cannot be deleted, as we do not know when the opening application releases them again for example.
So in the end you either mess up the Downloads dir, or the tempdir. Alternatively just set your DeskApp Downloads dir to your temp folder.

A way out of this would be if Kopano provided the attachment in a special file share where it is visible only to the current user and only as long as the associated mail is displayed and the file is still open in the corresponding application. Then you could open the file without having to download it first and would have no leftovers if you had worked through a few mails with attachments.

This would be possible at least for users working in the same network as the server or connected via VPN. Users without access to the internal network would probably have to live with the problem.

@marty said in just open attachment:

In DeskApp settings you can set a download dir,
and disable the ‘save dialog’ and enable the ‘open downloads when completed’ setting.
https://documentation.kopano.io/user_manual_deskapp/usage.html#download-settings

That’s an option. But my users want the option to choose to open or save the attachment.

When can we expect an update so that my users can choose to download or open the file (opening without saving first)?